Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
Write a review
- •1 15 oz. can organic black beans, well rinsed and drained
- •2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. flax, 6 tbsp. water)
- •3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- •1 cup cocoa powder
- •1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- •1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- •1/4 cup agave (or honey if not vegan)
- •1/4 cup + 2 tsp coconut palm sugar
- •1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- •1 tsp baking soda
- •1/2 cup creamy organic almond butter (or other type)
- •1/3 cup dairy-free semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, and more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan with Earth Balance butter and prepare flax eggs by combining flax and water, stirring well, and placing in fridge for 15 min.
- Combine ingredients through baking soda and puree in food processor– about 3 minutes – scraping down sides as needed.
- If the batter appears too thick, add a tbsp. or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny. Add almost all of the chocolate chips and stir.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the 8x8 and smooth the top. Add dots of the almond butter and swirl with a knife. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. You want the top dry and the edges to start to pull away from the sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes in the pan before serving. They will be tender, so remove gently with a spatula or fork. If they're too tender, let set in the freezer to stiffen so they're easier to lift out. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don’t be concerned if they seem too moist! Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.
Healthy Zen http://healthyzen.com/