Healthy Carrot Muffins
Write a review
- 1.5 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 sweet apple, finely grated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or sub muscavado
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 heaping cup (packed) grated carrot
- 2/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (chopped) for topping
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Prepare muffin tin with liners or lightly grease them.
- To flax eggs mashed banana, agave or maple syrup, olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Next add applesauce, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk and stir.
- Add grated carrot and stir.
- Add oats, almond meal, gluten free flour blend and stir.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin tins, filling them all the way up to the top, and top with crushed walnuts (optional).
- Bake for 32-36 minutes, or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When you press on the top it shouldn’t feel too spongey, so don’t be afraid of over baking! The GF blend just takes longer to bake.
- Remove from oven and let set in the pan for 15 minutes. Then flip on their sides still in the pan to let cool completely.
- If you try to unwrap them too quickly, they have a tendency to stick to the wrappers.
- Once cooled, store in a covered container or bag at room temp to keep fresh. Freeze after that to keep fresh.
- *If baking in a loaf pan or cake pan (8×8), bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour and check every 5 minutes thereafter for doneness.
Healthy Zen http://healthyzen.com/