Back to Eden Bakery is an absolutely amazing food cart located in Portland, Oregon that makes vegan, gluten free, sugar free, and soy free baked goods that will knock your socks off!
They were kind enough to share with Healthy Zen, so we could share with you, their recipe for…wait for it…
Raw Vegan Gluten Free Sugar Free Lemon Bars
Now that spring is in full effect, why not take advantage of sweet treats for barbeques or just pure enjoyment? With the sun out later and the warm weather gracing us with its presence, citrus fruits are blooming like crazy and lemons are ready for us to reap their benefits. Not only do lemons provide us with glorious amounts of Vitamin C, but they also offer the perfect light tangy flavor for many different recipes.
Back to Eden Bakery‘s method of creating sweet treats that are not only delicious but represent the Healthy Zen lifestyle. It’s not about what you take away in your ingredients or your life, it’s about what you bring into it.
“The food we eat determines everything. How we feel in our bodies…the health of our environment…the future we leave for our children. It all comes back to what we choose to sink our teeth into. Our 100% plant based menu of gluten free pastries and treats will nourish you while helping you discover how satisfying it can be to eat with health and planet in mind.”
-Back To Eden Bakery
- • 1 cup raw cashews
- • 1 cup coconut cream* (the hardened portion at the top of full fat coconut milk)
- • 2 tbsp sunflower lecithin
- • 1/2 cup lemon juice
- • 1 heaping tbsp lemon zest
- • Pinch sea salt
- • Pinch of turmeric
- • 1/4 cup agave
- • 1 cup dates shredded (vitamix or food processor is best)
- • 1 cup almonds
- • 1/4 tsp sea salt
- • 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- • 1 tbsp agave
- • 4-5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- For the base, line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Blend the base ingredients in a food processor until it's slightly crumbly but still sticks together.
- Press the base mix on the bottom of the lined being tray evenly and set aside.
- Blend all ingredients food processor/high speed blender until smooth. Make sure it's very smooth.
- Pour the topping over the base and sprinkle coconut flakes/lemon zest over the top.
- Set aside in the fridge for around 3 hours or until you can touch the top and its set.
- If you want it firmer, you can freeze it for 30 minutes before serving.